Thursday morning I was packing, and getting ready to go to my mom’s house. She has a hurt foot, and my stepdad was going on a fishing trip, so I wanted to help her out.

While drinking my morning coffee I visited with BJ for a little bit, because he was going into work late. I finished packing up the car, and we left the house at about the same time.

I drove over to another town to meet my dear friend Rachel. She had her 2 year old daughter and her mother-in-law with her. We met at Moe’s, and my diet went off the rails for that meal. I had a yummy bowl with rice, black beans, tofu, mushrooms, onions, pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole, and a little shredded cheese. I also ate chips and their tomatillo salsa. It was so great to see them. Rachel is about to give birth to her second daughter. I originally met Rachel through the church we used to attend. She moved closer to where she grew up, and I don’t get to see her very often anymore. She’s a busy RN at the hospital and a mom, so life is pretty busy. Her mother-in-law is so sweet, and it was a pleasure to visit with her as well.

After eating, I gassed up the car and hit the road. It took me about an hour to get to my mom’s house. My stepdad was there to help me unload my stuff. I must’ve looked like I was moving in. I had a heavy computer bag with several things in it, a suitcase, a bag full of food, and a huge storage bin filled with my yarn and all the components needed to work on both my knitting looms, and for my mom to teach me to crochet. I had kiwi and frozen steamed vegetables for dinner. After dinner I spent time with my mom visiting, and working on my loom. I have been very slowly been working on making hats for the homeless. I finally finished one that night, and I couldn’t have been happier. I snapped a picture, and went to Facebook to share the picture with the couple who had donated that yarn to me.


I’ve got some more yarn in the same color to start another one. I got sleepy, and ended up going to the guest room about 8:40. I was going to do some reading before I went to bed, but I was just too sleepy.


I woke up off and on thru the night, and finally woke up about 5. I went downstairs and started some coffee. I sat and watched the news until my mom woke up about 6:30. By then the sun had started to shine, which was a vast improvement from the really hard rains from the day before. I had driven thru patches of rain so hard I had to slow down to about 25mph. I stepped out to get the newspaper and bring the garbage bin back down to the house. It was much cooler than it had been the day before.

I cooked scrambled eggs for us, and got the food ready to put in the crockpot for our lunch. We ate our breakfast, and then we sat in their recliners in the middle of the living room. While my mom was out of the room taking her vitamins I started on a basic chain stitch for crochet. I learned to do a basic chain when I was much younger, and wasn’t even sure if I’d remember it, but I did. I had never really learned how to do any actual crochet.

We spent a little time watching television and I got online for a little while. I started getting a migraine. I had one the day before, but I assumed it was from the cold front coming thru. When I get a migraine concentration is hard for me.

For lunch we had a soup made from quinoa, great Northern beans, diced tomatoes, kale, onion, vegetable broth, and some spices. It had cooked about 4 hours on high, and I put the kale in to wilt for the last 15 minutes. I brewed some black currant tea, and soon I got the table ready. We enjoyed the meal, and I’m going to keep making it at home because it really is that good. You can find the recipe for this soup at this blog. I have tried several meals from this blog, and so far they’ve all been great.

After lunch my mom started showing me how to crochet. I had this gigantic plastic crochet hook, and some #6 bulky yarn. I seemed to have gotten the hang of it. I’ll just need lots of practice. So far, I’m really pleased with how I did.

First crochet

I will use Youtube videos to help me learn some of the other stitches. It’s something else I can do besides just working on my loom, but I still have a lot of other things I’d like to try on my looms.

I started loading my car. I got the leftovers of the soup, and my mom gave me some free-range eggs which thrilled me greatly. I left about 5:30 to start my trip home. I do not see very well in the dark and prefer not to drive out in it, so I wanted to give myself ample time to get home in time.

I arrived home, and BJ helped me unload the car. He had gotten me a Subway sandwich to eat, so I sat down for dinner. I was feeling very drained from the headaches, so I went to bed about 8:30.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s