Fishing on a Friday

MrB and I woke up at about 5:30, and slowly got ready to go out on the boat. We brought drinks with us, but stopped and got breakfast at Hardee’s. I plan on making peanut butter sandwiches next time. The first half of this month hasn’t been planned out too well from a food standpoint, but that will change.

On the road to the river
On the road to the river

We got on the water around 7:30. It was overcast, and just a little cool. It was pretty windy though, because a cold front was moving thru. We rode a little way down the river to a patch of grass in the water so MrB could go fishing.


We encountered some waves due to the wind as we were riding back down the river to another fishing location where I could take a bathroom break at a little store at a marina. A bracket on the boat the holds the depth finder broke when we hit a rather big wave and caught air. Unfortunately it’s a $20 part that has to be replaced. Since fishing is MrB’s passion, he’ll probably replace that part quickly.

Fishing is MrB’s passion in life. He fishes for bass, and he never keeps any of them. He throws them right back into the water after catching them. He spends a great deal of his free time doing things fishing related. Wether it be looking up fishing stuff online and studying maps of the river, or getting out onto the water, he is head over heels about the sport. He has a laid back personality, and fishing helps keep him balanced.


While he fishes, I generally read, take pictures, or just take in the scenery. We stayed out there for about 4 hours. I know he would’ve liked to stay out there longer, but I was just too restless.

Our boat at the dock
Our boat at the dock

We went home, and ate a little lunch of some leftover pasta. We were both sleepy so we took a nap in the afternoon.

After we woke up, I started some black eyed peas in the electronic pressure cooker. I put the rinsed peas in with a carton of vegetable broth, and set the cooker on 45 minutes. Then I started some cornbread, which is my mother’s recipe. It’s a hit every time. I use 2 cups self-rising cornmeal, 1/2 cup of flour, one packet of powdered milk, and two eggs. Then I add just enough water to make it a workable consistency. I use a cast iron skillet to cook it in. I heat the oven to 450 degrees, and let it preheat while I’m mixing up the ingredients. I pour about 1/8 of an inch of vegetable oil into the cast iron skillet. I stick it in the oven for about 5 minutes to heat the oil up. I then take it out, and quickly pour the batter in before returning it to the oven for 15-20 minutes.

After eating I washed up some of the dishes that were in the sink, and then we went out onto the deck and sat for a little while. The sky was full of dark rain clouds, and the wind was fairly strong. It didn’t rain while we were out there, but later in the evening we could hear some heavy rain falling.

We watched a little football, and I worked on some of my loom knitting. I went to bed a little before 10.

Today’s Frugal Activities

  • Ate lunch and supper at home
  • Windows open, so no heat or A/C
  • Working on homemade Christmas presents

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s