Monday in the Kitchen

I’m keeping a fairly steady pace at waking up between 6:30-7:00 each morning. This is a vast difference from what I used to do. I’ve gotten into a fairly good habit. I set an alarm for around 5:30 to take my thyroid meds, so I can take it and go right back to sleep. The reason I do this is because the thyroid med requires no food or drink other than water for about an hour after it’s taken. I ate some eggs for breakfast.

I decided to finally make some vegetable stock. I filled up the crockpot with vegetable scraps that I have been keeping in a gallon size bag in the freezer. I filled it with water, a couple bay leaves, salt, and pepper. I set it to cook on low for 8 hours.

MrB who was working a closing shift at work woke up at 8:30. After he had some coffee we went for a quick walk in our neighborhood. The weather is perfect for walking; sunny, and cool. We had some broccoli and cheese pasta before he went to work.

After MrB left I took a nap. I’m really hoping to stop that pattern. When I woke up I could smell the stock, and it smelled good. I was wishing it were dinner I was smelling.

I watched at little TV, and decided to start some supper and some bread. I was trying to do two things at once, and thankfully I didn’t mess anything up. I started some red lentil soup and a batch of bread. The soup is super simple, and I really enjoy making it. The bread is pretty simple too. I did better this time than I did last time. I mixed the ingredients in my stand mixer, and then transferred it to a greased bowl. I covered it with saran wrap, and let it rise for an hour.

Bread dough after its first rise.
Bread dough after its first rise.

After the first rise I put it onto a floured surface, and cut the dough in half. I rolled each half into a long rectangle, and hand rolled it into a cylinder. I folded the ends of the cylinder together, and put each one into a bread pan. I let it rise for another hour, and then baked it for 35 minutes. After I took it out of the oven I let them sit in their pans to cool for 10 minutes before transferring the loaves to cooling racks.

I had a nice bowl of lentil soup for dinner, and there is enough left over for another bowl or two.

After the stock finished in the crockpot, I let it naturally cool to fairly close to room temperature. After that cooled I prepared three quart size mason jars for the stock. I used a mesh strainer to get out the biggest pieces. Then I used a canning funnel in each jar and put the strainer over the top of the funnel. I filled each jar up a little over halfway. I don’t want a repeat of my cracked jars from last time. I let them cool even more in the jars before putting two into the freezer, and one into the fridge.

I hung out the rest of the evening watching some shows on TV, and went to bed around 9.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s